Monday, December 27, 2010

My Poor Baby Puppy Girl

Last night, a blizzard hit southern NH. I decided to celebrate with the dogs and we hit the field behind our house. It was just starting to snow and it was really nice out. The dogs ran all over the field and were having a ball. I rounded them up and headed back towards the house. Both of the dogs are frequent rollers in yuck so when I saw Oakley and the side of her head was dark colored (I didn't have my headlamp on so I didn't know what color it was), I figured she found some muck and rolled in it. I grabbed some snow and tried to wipe the muck off. She ran off and no big deal.

We got back to the house, and the puppies took off towards the neighbors house. They were playing on the neighbors porch, and my neighbor went outside to say 'hi' or grab them or shoe them off the porch and all of a sudden, she was like, 'Jenny.... GET OVER HERE'. I ran up to their house and she was like, 'what happened to Oakley?' Oakley was covered in blood. I could see that it was coming from her ear and I know that dog's ears BLEED!! But oh dear!!! She was nasty bloody!!

I got the pups home and I went into the garage. I called Nate and asked him to come down to the garage with some medical supplies. He thought that I hurt myself but I told him it was Oakley and she was bleeding all over the floor. He brought some gauze pads and a towel. I ended up just wrapping up Oakley with the towel and putting her in the bathtub. I cleaned her off and got her ear to stop bleeding. I took her out of the tub, she shook her head and there was little splatters of blood ALL OVER THE BATHROOM!!!! Then her ear started gushing again.

I put her back in the tub and grabbed Nate and was like, 'what do I do?' He decided that we should just cordon Oak in the bathtub. Poor thing hates the bath tub and now she was stuck in there with no where to go.

I left her in there for about a half hour. I then packed her up with a towel again, and moved her to her kennel. I figured she could nasty up her bedding and it would be ok b/c I could wash it.

This morning, everything looked great. She ran outside to play in the snow, shook her head once and little blood splatters everywhere again. I was lucky no one saw us on our adventure b/c I'm pretty sure I would've been reported for animal cruelty.

She's resting comfortably now. She might be adventure-less for the next 24 hours until we can get this little ear healed!!

Here's a pic of my poor bloody pup:

No comments:

Post a Comment