Thursday, April 21, 2011

Oh, you pesky hip!!!

I think I'm gonna use this medium to use as my own personal journal about my new stupid injury that is driving me BATTY!!! My dang right hip!!!

It all started about two years ago on some cold July morning and I stupidly took Oakley for a bike ride... So, I wasn't stupid about taking her for a bike ride, I was stupid because she was on a leash, I was on a road bike, and it had just rained so the roads were super wet. We were going down a hill, she stopped, my bike didn't, and I slammed the pavement HARD! If you want pictorial evidence, you can look up facebook and find the cute pink and purple splot on skin with plaid shorts. It hurt like all get out!!! I never got it checked out and because I could walk (very gingerly though), Nate was positive it wasn't fractured so they were going to tell me to rest. Since I can tell myself that, I decided to skip the whole doctor deal.

Then back in January, I had a lovely collision with a railroad and nailed the left side of my bum hard.

So about 4 weeks ago, I decided to push my running limits and ran 4 miles. I thought it went great. It felt fine. No minor aches or major aches. The next day, my friend, Anna and I had a girly day and went to Ikea. We sat in the car for 2.5 hours. I stood up and felt intense pain in my hip. I thought nothing of it because I didn't think sitting could hurt something. :) I kept running on it because that's what I do and now 4 weeks later, I'm still in pain and not too happy about it!!! I have stopped running for about 2 weeks now (I did cheat and ran once last week, and I paid for it so it doesn't count).

So, last night I talked with my chiropractor and we have sort of determined that that when I nailed my bum on the railroad, I knocked out my SI joint. He worked that out and once the pain stopped of that, I started running again. I must have been over compensating for the left side and probably have now tweaked the right side. I can tell that all of the major muscles that run into my hip are tighter than all get out so I have been trying to stretch those out. The annoying thing about the injury to me is that it ONLY really hurts when I run or sit for a long period of time. I really, really want to be able to run... and I would like to figure out a way to avoid sitting for long periods of time... but that whole desk job is ruining it for me. It doesn't hurt when I walk, unless I move a funky direction. It doesn't hurt when I bike. It feels awesome when I swim (I should probably consider doing that more). Oh, and the other thing that I figured out was that I have been heal striking with my right foot. I practiced (doesn't count) running yesterday more on the balls of my feet for a good hundred yards and it doesn't hurt.... so... I'm hoping that by next week, I'll be able to feel the wind in my hair and hear my feet hitting the pavement once again pain free and continue to be pain free with relearning how to run.

That's the long and short of it. If you have any other suggestions outside of resting, massage, yoga, and stop being an idiot, throw them my way... I am trying to do my best at resting. I have asked my massage therapist friend to schedule me in although I loathe massages. I will start doing yoga next week. I was going to start today, but I forgot my clothes and I was born this way, I can't just stop being me... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment