Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A few of my favorite things about our visit to Kentucky

I love the North East and everything it brings: the people, the mountains, the ocean, the sights, the proximity to everything, etc. However, I LOVE traveling back to the midwest and south. It reminds me of a simplier life without bills and work. Here are a few of my favorites from our past weekend in Lexington, KY  and Frankfurt, KY.

1) It reminds me that I, like my North East compadres, drive like lunatics! In the first 2 hours of driving on Friday, I got flicked off and someone did the whole slam on the brakes so you'll get off their tail act. And yes, being flicked off is a common occurance in these parts. So much so that I don't usually know that I'm being flicked off, but this was different. We were driving on highway 64 and I was in the right lane and I was coming up on a truck. There was enough space between the two cars in the left lane to sneak over so I turned on my blinker and moved in. Yes, the space was smaller than probably the recommended space, but I guarentee that the guy in the back did not have to slow down. Although, seeing how much the middle finger was flying around, he probably did have to slow down just so that he could get proper effect of middle finger fly time. Again, being flicked off is common so it was more commical then anything. Then, the speed limit in KY is 70, not the usual 55 or 65 around here. I was loving that! I was cruising down the left lane and came up to a group of cars. I stayed behind them waiting for them to pass the lonely little car in the right lane. We passed the car and then the car in front decided they didn't have to move over to the right lane. Since the were just going a measley 70mph, I decided that I wanted to go around them and might as well go around in the right lane. The car in front of me had the same idea. She moved into the right lane, and I followed behind her. She passed the car and then decided that I must be riding to close, so she slammed on her brakes. I was like, 'whoa, nelly, what was that all about?' I wasn't that close and took the time to move into the left lane and zoom on by! I do drive like a lunatic, but in the North East, it's called survival!

2) Biscuits and gravy...


at places were people have this on their car:

But those were some damn good biscuits and gravy!!!

3) Kentucky fans!!! I really wish I had taken a picture of this woman, but she was a riot! At half time, Nate & I went back to our hotel with our friends, Kristi and Chris, to watch the end of the UK basketball game. There are sports fans around here but most of the time, the Red Sox fans are cheering against the Yankees so I can never tell if they like the Red Sox or if they just despise the Yankees. :) Back to this lady... she was a FAN! She was yelling at the screen whenever they missed it, she was hooting and hollaring whenever they made a shot, and she was yelling at the people around her when they were talking and not paying attention to the game. The best thing she yelled was when Kentucky was down by 4 and there was a just a few seconds left in the game. One of the UConn players was attempting free throws. She litterly got down on her knees, got really close to the tv, and yelled, 'MISS IT, BITCH'. All four of us nearly fell out of our chairs. Oh, I forgot to mention that not 5 minutes before she yelled that her maybe 4 year old daughter was sitting on her lap and now was sitting on someone else's lap watching her mother act like that. It was awesome!

4) Last but definitely not least... watching my friend get married to the man she loves, a man that treats were well and definitely loves her back!

It was a beautiful wedding and it was awesome to be back in Kentucky to watch them tie the knot!! I'm so happy for you, Jen! Thank you so much for inviting us and letting us be a part of your special day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment