Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkinman 2012 Recap

It's been a month since the triathlon and I guess I'm finally ready to talk about it. I actually had to suck it up really quickly and talk about it because I had told WAY too many people about it before it started so when I got back to work everyone was asking how I did... So, obviously, it didn't go as planned. I did the same triathlon last year and last year, was able to place third in my age group. This year, I was planning on doing so much better. I had trained hard in all three sports and I was feeling relatively confident going into the race. The first place age group swimmer gets a gift certificate for a new wetsuit so I was gunning for that one. I had swam with the Masters group three times a week for most of the summer and early spring. I didn't ride as much as I wanted but I did ride a lot and Nate and I had even done a sprint workout. I ran three times a week and I had done a few practice tri's. 

So, my swim was good. I didn't go as fast as last year, but I also think the course was longer than last year because I felt a lot faster than I did last year. That is me in the green cap looking up: 


This is probably why I got second in the swim instead of first. I got done with the swim and there was a huge hole near the ramp on the left hand side of the ramp. I knew about it and tried to get myself away from it. I was feeling a little out of sorts (still a little dizzy) so it took me awhile to get my bearings and get my bum up the ramp. DRAT!!! 

I haven't used a latex cap in awhile... I guess I have moved away from them because they are such a pain in the bum to get off... :) 

So, here I am starting the ride. I was feeling good and ready to ride. It took me a bit to get clipped in but oh well. 

Coming up the last hill into T2. I had a really good ride. I only got passed by one girl in my age group on the ride but she ended up getting a flat so I passed her back. I was super happy that things were going good. I knew I was first in my age group so I was really excited about the run. 

During transition, I got my running shoes on and got another sip of gatorade. I started my run and immediately started feeling a pain in my side. I thought no biggie, just power through it, it's gonna be ok. I then started down the hill, and things weren't ok. This is on the way down the hill... 

As I got down the hill, the pain got pretty intense. It was on the right side of my stomach and near my belly button. It went from my ribs down towards my lower abdomen. Each breath was super duper painful. I kept trying to run but was starting to panic as well. Each time I tried to breath and it hurt, my panic got worse. I barely made it a quarter of a mile and had to walk. I tried to stretch it out like it was a side stitch but it wasn't stretching out. It was too far into the middle of my stomach that it wasn't in a stretchable location. To this day, I'm not sure if it was a funky cramp from riding or if it was an ovarian cyst or something. I have had the same pain again, not while running, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an ovarian cyst. People started flying by me. Girls in my age group were passing me left and right. All I could do was walk. I was so incredibly upset!!! 

I did keep walking and was able to finish, but yes, I am and was extremely frustrated by the whole experience! 


This is the pond before the swim. 

Nicole, my swimming buddy, and me before the race. 

Nicoe and I after the race. Yes, I was crying here.... 

Here are pictures of some our friends racing. 

This is Sam, our real estate agent, and good buddy after his swim. 

Nicole after her swim. 

Sammy powering up the last hill before T2

Nicole all smiles during the run. 

Annie, the running machine, starting her run. 

Sammy got first in his age group. 

Annie got second again in our age group. 

I definitely have fuel for next year's triathlon. I pretty much never stopped running after the race. I did stop swimming... :) I am signed up for a spin class and will start that next week to see if I can get better riding shape this winter. I'll start swimming again in the spring... Here's to next year... :) (Already signed up for one in July to maybe help prepare for September!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment