Monday, May 7, 2012

On our second day of vacay, my true love came to me... :)

Tuesday of vacation started off with a bang... well, not really... Oakley seemed to be better with some running and a good night sleep.

We decided we would try a second attempt at paddle boarding with the dogs. The winds were howling again, so we walked a mile or so down the beach so we could just sort of float back to where our housemates were. I got our long leash and leashed the two dogs to each other and then made sure that that we knew were the other end was. :) I put Oakley on my board and was going to let Scout swim. I think the water was just a bit too cold for Scout so he quickly jumped up on the board too. So, I was paddling around with the two dogs on my big board. Nate was on his board just keeping an eye out for us making sure everything was going ok. As we were paddling back towards our housemates, we saw a pod of dolphins approaching us. I was sooo very excited. I started paddling towards where they were coming, but in my head was thinking that I didn't want to get tooo close. As we kept paddling, the dolphins got closer and closer. Then as they were about to swim by us, two of them turned and started swimming towards my board with the two dogs on it. I looked at Nate and was like, 'They are swimming towards me! This is awesome!' and then looked down and saw the two dogs and thought, 'oh.... this is NOT awesome!' I started paddling back towards the beach sorta quickly. I was putting together different scenarios in my head... If the dolphins come up and nudge the board and we all fall off, how do I get the dogs back on the board quickly enough that I can go off and swim with the dolphins!!! Thankfully, the dolphins just came to inspect us and left us alone. But it was exciting...

After the dolphin excitement, Scout decided he was done sitting on a board. He kept jumping off my board so Nate would go and fetch him up and put him on his board. Then he would jump off Nate's board and I would put him on my board. Then he would jump off my board and Nate would put him on his board and then Nate had enough of his craziness so Nate kept his hand on Scout's float coat so that Scout couldn't jump off his board and we decided that it was enough. We paddled back to the beach.

Once we got back to the beach, we hung out with our housemates on the beach. One of our housemates was a fisherman and had all of his fishing stuff with him. While he was there, he caught at least 3 skates... I am not sure if he caught any fish. Here are some pictures of Nate helping getting the skate back in the water so it would survive:


After we hung out on the beach for a bit, we decided to head back to the house to eat lunch. We then decided to head south and check out some of the surf spots. We drove to the Cape Hatteras lighthouse to see if there was any surf there. Then we touristed it up a bit and checked out the lighthouse:


We then drove further south to Frisco. We saw what a terrible bi-atch that Irene was:


We also saw some dead jellyfish on the beach:



But there was no surf... We did decide to stop in at a local surf shop and ran into a guy wearing a Molly shirt. We talked about Buck and how much of a cool cat that he is. We then headed back to the house, rested up, made dinner and then Nate and I took a stroll on the beach.

I really, really wish that they would come out with a camera that could just be a part of your brain so that when you forgot your camera at the house, there would be photographic evidence of what you saw... When Nate and I got to the beach, we fired up the head lamps and much to our surprise, saw something scurry towards the water. We both looked at each other and then looked back down and something else scurried to the beach. We immediately said, "crabs, sweet!!!!" so the next one we came up to, we inspected it closer. Then scout came over and inspected closer. The minute scout put his nose to the crab, the crab positioned itself in its defensive pose. Then scout continued to sniff at it... Then scout picked it ... Then the crab snapped at scout... Then scout flung it at me... Then I screamed like a girl... Then scout picked it up again but instead of gently picking it up, he gnashed into it and killed it and ate it. Then we didn't laugh anymore because that happened at least 10 more times, less the flinging and the screaming. At first, Oakley was terrified of the crabs but saw how much scout was having with them so she started sniffing at them too. However, every time they moved when Oakley sniffed at them, she would jump away... Then she would try to sniff again and they would scurry to the water. It was quite amusing!!! Needless to say, Nate and I walked on the beach for about two hours that night watching the crabs and the dogs interacting with the crabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment