Friday, May 4, 2012

First day of vacation and my fat skinny dog eats her weight in dog food

Our friends rented a house in the Outerbanks for April vacation and had asked Nate and I if we wanted to go in with them. We waffled a bit but then when I found out that we could bring the dogs too, I was in. Going on a week long vacation and having someone take care of the pups is too stressful for anyone including me and boarding them for a week is TOO expensive so a vacation with the dogs is the best type of vacation for me!

We headed down Sunday and arrived Sunday night and was ready to roll first thing Monday morning. Monday morning, I got up and was just going to let the dogs out to pee. Then our friend came outside with his dog and was like, 'let's go to the beach'... ok... you twisted my arm! We walked to the beach with the dogs and my two were psyched!! Scout ran and ran and ran and chased every bird he could see for a mile and kept running and running. Oakley just followed behind. 

After we got back, I woke Nate up so that Nate and I could get breakfast and go grocery shopping. We found a little restaurant in Avon and were really excited to biscuits and gravy on the menu. So excited that Nate took a picture of it:


We went grocery shopping and then on our way back to the house, Nate wanted to check out a pier to see if there was any surf. He got out of the car and I stayed in the car with the dogs. Nate started waving at me to come look. I got out of the car to see what was the fuss. He pointed and said, "Look, dolphins"... I was in love!! :)

We got back to the house and decided to meet everyone at the beach. We took our paddleboards and the dogs to the beach. We were going to try and paddleboard with the dogs. Just getting the boards to the beach was a bit of a battle. Once we got to the beach and the winds were blowing at least 30 mph, we knew we were in for another battle. We walked the boards about a mile down the beach and attempted to get in. Scout typically just likes to swim along with us so we let him swim and I took scaredy cat Oakley on my board with me. For some reason, I decided to put her on the back of the board instead of putting her in front of me like how I usually do (probably because I got her on the board and she wasn't budging). I got on the board and went to get past the breakers. I hit one wave and she washed right off the board!! So she started following me and I paddled out past the breakers. I thought everything was good. I was trying to slow down to let the dogs catch up so that if they wanted to climb on the board, they could. However, the wind was whipping us so fast, that there was no slowing down. I was just sailing away from them. Nate saw that I was starting to freak out a little and he tried to paddle towards them. He was paddling against the wind and again, futile process. The dogs then just turned and went towards the beach, thankfully. We paddled towards the beach as well and were finally all reunited. The dogs must have been freaked out because within minutes of getting back to the beach, the dogs started to tussle. Poor little buddies!!

We hung out on the beach for awhile longer and then decided to go back to the house and get lunch. We ate lunch and then chilled out for awhile. The outerbanks are the mecca for the kite boarders so we decided to go check out people kite boarding on the sound side. It looks fun. Nothing special, but fun. The first place we went, they had a rail set up, but no one hit it. We went to another spot and Nate being the nice guy that he is, helped a few guys bring their kites down and helped them launch them. So sweet!! :) Again, we watched for a bit and then headed back to the house. Our housemates ordered some pizzas so Nate and I decided to order one ourselves and went with one of our housemates to pick them up...

And then the drama unfolded...

We got back to the house, and Nate and I went to our room to put our stuff away. I went and fed the dogs and Nate was on the deck. Oakley took about 2 bites of her food and walked away. I looked at Nate and was like, 'uh.....'. Nate is our food hound and NEVER EVER EVER would turn down a meal. Normally, she eats her dinner in 2.3 seconds! :) I went over and was going to pick her up to see if she was ok. (Yes, she's my baby and yes, I pick up my dogs because they are my babies... I admit it!!). When I grabbed her around her belly, she instantly started heaving. She threw up twice. I ran and got some paper towels to clean up her puke. I thought it might be sea water from our adventure paddleboarding so I was a little worried. I sat on the deck with her a few minutes and felt around. She started moaning and I noticed how big and tight her belly was. I was like, 'this isn't good...' We were trying to figure out whether or not this was vet worthy and I decided to clean up the puke. I looked at the puke, finally, and was like, 'uh... this isn't oakley's food. this is Newp's dog food'. We yelled upstairs to our housemate, Erin, to tell him that Oakley threw up Newp's food and then we walked into Erin and his wife's room.... there were ripped up plastic bags all over the floor.... 8 of them!! Erin and his wife put each meal into a bag so that they bring just enough food with them. They brought some extras (thank goodness) but not 4 days worth of extras!! So here we are on a dang island and my dog just ate 4 days worth of their dogs food!! I felt like such an a$$hole!!! As I was a little panicked that I was going to need to take my dog to the vet to get her stomach pumped, Nate once again, stepped up and said, 'I'll take her for a skate'. So he got the dogs all ready and went skating with them. She went to the bathroom and burned a bunch of calories so my panic-ness started to subside. We took them on a walk on the beach after the skate and she ran around more and went to the bathroom again. She took like a 2 pound dump later in the week and about a week later, she got her figure back so everything worked out in the end. She didn't learn her lesson... but on to the next adventure..

Oakley in all her bloated glory... Not a happy camper with a super full belly... 




No comments:

Post a Comment