Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ending the year with a Bang!

After a week of not playing enough, Nate & I decided to head up to Mount Washington on Friday, December 31, to enjoy the recent dumping of snow. Since we hadn't hung out enough with our real estate agent, Sam, during the week, we decided to bring him along too. It's a good thing because the snow sucked and he provided a lot of entertainment.

As stated in recent posts, we got a blizzard over the previous weekend and supposedly the the west side of Mount Washington got 30+ inches of snow during the snow storm. However, the forecasted temperature for Mount Washington was 35 degrees on Friday. Therefore all the fresh snow turned into soupy mashed potatoes. It's fine in April to play in soupy mashed potatoes, because by that time, I've had enough runs in me that I remember all the fine aspects of snowboarding. It was my first time out and it was a doozey!!

We hiked up the cog railway and made it easily to Jacob's ladder. The cog railway is a railroad that was built on the west side of Mount Washington. You can take a train to summit the mountain during the summer. Jacob's Ladder is about 4,725 feet up the mountain. The summit as at 6,288 feet. Nate really wanted to make it to the summit and after getting down, letting the skies clearing and seeing how far we made, we could've done it... However, I was a pansy. Here's the deal. We got to Jacob's ladder and kept going up. At this point, there was a cloud nestled around the top of Mount Washington and visibility was about 20 feet. We started heading up and the grade was really steep. Where we were hiking was all wind-blown and icey. The more we were going up, the more I was freaking out because I would take 4 steps, slide down some, take a few more steps, slide more, etc. I was having a really hard time getting up, but looking around, I was going to have a really hard time going down too (mostly because I couldn't see anything other than cloud). I didn't want to summit, just to summit, only to walk down. So, we stopped, made our way back towards the start of Jacob's ladder, put our stuff on and started skiing/snowboarding down.

It was slop!! Sticky, warm, wet, soupy slop!!! I was having a hard time riding because I was trying to keep my front tip out of the slop but also trying to turn so that I wouldn't fly down the mountain. Plus, I haven't snowboarded since April of last year. So basically, I would make a turn, try to make another turn and fall on my bum. It was pathetic and I was frustrated!

All in all, it was nice to get up there. We ran into our friend Ted and it was great to see him again. Nate & I got some exercise. The dogs got some exercise and Sam got to play on the various obstacles around the parking lot. You can see some of the videos of Sam & Nate playing here.

This is by far my favorite video. It shows how well the boys work together:



And my other favorite.  Thank you to the kind man who drove his friend's subaru up the drive way to pull Sam over the jump:

No comments:

Post a Comment