Friday, September 10, 2010

Is running really becoming part of my routine?

So, yes, I have two dogs! And yes, they are NUTS! We take them mountain biking a bunch on the weekends and occasionally during the weeks, but most of the time during the week, it's a bit difficult to get them exercise so that they can be relatively calm. And relative is just that... relative!! :-)  So, I started running with them. I first started just running a mile or two once or twice a week. I would carry both of their leashes and I think my arms got more of a workout than the rest of me. Then I started running the almost three mile loop by my house. And slowly, I'm coming up with ways to make it easier on me so that I can go faster... Before each run, I take them on a little walk so that both of them will do their business so that we don't have to stop for business. Oakley has yet to do her business on the actual pre-run-walk but at least Scout does... Although Scout did master the bathroom while you run technique so I'm not sure I care if he goes or not. However, it is nice that I don't have to dodge #2's as they come my way.

I ended up getting them a leash that I can wrap around my waist. I then have a coupler so that there is only one leash. I have yet to fall (KNOCK ON WOOD) but there have been a few times where I thought the pavement was getting awfully close. I am tempted to talk to one of my neighbors who also has two dogs and ask them to PLEASE, PLEASE not let their dogs outside prior to 6:30am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. When we are walking, one of their dogs runs alongside us and Oakley and their dog bark at each other. I usually have to pull with all my might to get Oakley back on the road. So, I can't exactly imagine what will happen to me if the dog comes flying outside and Oakley pulls me and Scout toward the dog as we are cruising down the little hill. It might be similar to those times when I held onto Oakley's leash while I was riding my bike... Both of my hips have lovely scars from those two occasions.

Then I bought myself a cute little outfit... which I do wear every time I run... because I only have ONE cute little outfit... I have washed it ... now...

So, today, I signed myself up for a 5k... WHAT THE HECK AM I THINKING!?!?!?

Oh yes, I remember now... Those sprinkled donuts were awfully delicious today... If I run more tomorrow... maybe I can have some next week!!  YUMMMMMM

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo...it's only a matter of time!! Next year you'll be doing the Blue Ridge Relay with us!

    ReplyDelete