Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time to catch up!! - Mount Tremont

Holy busy batman!!! It's been a whirl-wind last few weeks. We had the Christmas holidays which went right into a week of vacation which brought us through New Years to sick-o land to Sales Kick off at work then to Avalanche school and then back to home to hopefully recuperate. Nuts, I tell you... Nuts!!!

During our week of vacation, we had hoped that there were would be tons of snow up north so we thought we were going to head up there on Monday night and get in a whole lotta feetage... but there is not a lot of snow up north... aka not enough to backcountry ski/ride on so we didn't hustle up north. We stayed home until Wednesday (b/c there was surf Wednesday morning) and then headed up north for some more walking. This isn't exactly true because we did get to ride down a groomer on one day! :)

First hike... This was from Thursday, December 29. I don't remember if there is background story other than I had to find a hike that wasn't too long but had some considerable vertical. I used my handy dandy book and came up with a hike up Mount Tremont. It was an out and back which are never super fun, but at this point... whatever... :) The first part was along a pretty nice brook/waterfall so that was pretty awesome. It's always nice to have some scenery while you are walking up a mountain. I left my phone at the house, accidentally, so Nate was the picture taker and we got no pictures of the brook/waterfall. We turned away from the brook and then had to go up and down over a few brooks and then began doing switch backs. The way up wasn't too bad. It was a little tiring, but then again, aren't they all. It was a very frigid day that day so the dogs had their little coats on. As we were hiking up, Scout was whereever Scout goes during our hikes and we all of a sudden heard him barking. I yelled up to Nate, "I really hope that he isn't bothering any wildlife". We turned up one of the switch backs and there were moose tracks near the trail. If that doggie scared away the only moose I'm going to see in my lifetime, I'm gonna be so mad at him... :)

Here are some pictures from the top:

Nate's super excited pose at the top: 

My impression of Columbus: 

Sawyer Pond ... frozen... 

I believe this is a shot of Mount Washington. It was a super bright day and Mount Washington was looking very snow covered... false hope... 

Oakley getting a little lovin!! 

A pretty good self portrait from the top!! 

There you go... There is the washington from distance!! It's the white monster in the trees!! 

Something funky happened to the watch on the way down, but that's ok because I think it got most of the way up. The watch says we hiked up 2,535 feet. We were at 82,120 feet. Thus we have 79,585 feet to go!!!

Mother nature, if you could do me one favor, can you just please sit on top of the white mountains and just poo out the white stuff?!? PLEASE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment