Friday, November 25, 2011

Bagged another 4k footer

After a big Thanksgiving meal yesterday, Nate and I drove up north to see what fun could be had in the recent snow storm. Wednesday, the mountains got a foot+ of snow while the seacoast got 0, which I guess that's better than the mountains getting rain too. We stayed at the house Thursday night, went to bed early, got up early-ish and waited for our friend Mr. Nevins to arrive. We met him at Wildcat mountain and began the hike-a-roo. Because there was lots of snow, but not a lot of cover, we brought our "resort" boards up and hiked with boards on our backs. It was slow... slow... slow and painful going. This is what I saw for a good two hours.... 


Nate was a huge sport and led most of the way up the mountain. I felt bad that I was all over his bum most of the hike so I tried to lead the way a few times. I would get about 30 steps and stop to rest because breaking trail was not an easy task. This was after I broke trail some of the way. I stopped to rest and got a picture of Nate and Mr. Nevins with Mount Washington in the background. 


This is another picture of Mount Washington from the top of the chair lift. It was a gorgeous, way to warm day! 


Here is another picture of Mount Washington from the summit of Wildcat Mountain: 


And definitely needed an Hipstamatic shot... 


Nater and Mr. Nevins in conversation or eating, I'm not sure... 


After we summited, we headed back down to the top of the chair lift to get some gear that we dropped off and got ourselves ready for the ride down! If you look really closely, you can see Scout in the middle of the screen... 


And Oakley modeled with Mount Washington in the background. She was waiting for Nate to get his gear all ready... 


So, I'd love to say that the first turns of the year were epic... but they were most definitely NOT epic. As we started the day, it started to get really... really warm!!! It was probably about 40 something at the top of the mountain. It was cold to change layers, but not that cold. The way down was like trying to get through mashed potatoes whipped with molasses. I am still somewhat new at snowboarding and am not comfortable with doing a wheelie and trying to steer. There were many, many times that I was on my bum, knees, head, back, etc. and Mr. Nevins got to hear the "I QUIT!" (Nate got to hear it too, but it's not Nate's first time at hearing that....)  Not one of my finest moments... but hey... what can you do?!? I ended up using my snowboard as a sled for probably a good half the way down. It was way better than walking and I was beyond frustrated snowboarding... again... not proud, but I had fun!! 

Prior to today, we had 92,911 feet to go in our quest for 100k. We climbed 1,950 today. Therefore, we have 90,961 more to go... sooo close to breaking through the 90k... but yet soooo far away!! Can't wait to see what next weekend will bring us!! 

Parting shot of the old school wildcat lodge... 


And last but not least, Mr. Nevins brought a memory card and got a very nice picture of me and Nater!! Thank you, Mr. Nevins!!! 


1 comment: