Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 Iron Mike Virtual Tofurkey Trot -- Copied...

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... My good friend, Kelli Jamison, threw out a good challenge and I thought I would copy her as I think it's a great cause.

When I was in college, we had the toughest diving coach, pretty much in the country. I remember going and running stadiums and the swimmers, me especially, would be crying and complaining about how hot it was or how hard the stadiums were and then the whole diving team including the coach would go bounding past us as if it was nothing. Then after practice, the swimmers would do 500 abs and the divers would do 2,000 abs after they spun, twisted and smacked the water for 2.5 hours. Mike was doing all the exercises with them. He was intense and the divers were intense and they were good. All of the swimmers and the divers respected Mike. After I left college, I found out that Mike had lung cancer and my mouth just dropped. He was such a strong human being and was such an incredible person. It was mind boggling that this man was going to be in the hardest fight of his life. He ended up passing away in April 2008 and they set up a memorial fund in his name.

So, here's where you come in. If you agree to run a virtual run with me, as in you don't have to actually run with me, but agree to run that day, I'll donate $5 in your name to the Iron Mike Memorial Fund for the first 20 folks that agree to run with me. So send me an email at jenaswam at gmail dot com or send me a message on facebook.

You can also donate yourself at:

Wildcat Aquatics – Iron Mike Memorial Fund
Lancaster Aquatic Center
416 Complex Dr.
Lexington, KY 40506-0219

So send me a message and earn yourself your turkey or whatever you may be eating on Thursday all for a good cause!!

No comments:

Post a Comment