Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Garden Experiment May 11, 2010

Because this garden has become a new mis-adventure already... I figured, I would share. About a month ago, I bought wood to make two raised beds for a veggie garden. I built the beds and they sat in the garage for a few weeks... Finally moved the boxes to the yard, then they sat there for a few more days before I put dirt in them. I finally have one box filled with dirt and the other box is half full of dirt. The super nice spring weather tricked me into buying 4 grape tomato plants, 4 roma tomato plants and 4 pepper plants. I was doing a great job paying attention to the weather to make sure that there were no frost scares. So far, so good... I left the plants in their pots in order to make sure that I could bring them inside, just in case... I knew that it was going to be cold this past Sunday and Monday... I saw that Sunday night was going to be cold so I decided to move the plants inside. No frost Sunday night... Monday comes along... Oakley gets sick all over the basement floor during the day so I came home to an awesome smell and a fantastic mess! Then I cleaned it up as much as I could without carpet cleaner, put the plants outside in order for them to get some sun and made my way to Oakley's PT session. I pulled up to an ATM machine to get money out to pay for Oak's session, and wa la, no ATM card. Fan-freaking-tastic! So, in my car, I'm thinking things happen in threes, what's going to happen next... Oakley has her PT session, I buy carpet cleaner on the way, I get home, and the plants had fallen off the ledge next to the drive way so I set them back up on the ledge. I didn't even think about the weather... I ate dinner, cleaned the carpet, took Oakley for a walk and went to bed. Woke up this morning, took Oakley to go to the bathroom, I looked around and was like, 'oh no, is that frost?' Looked over at my plants hanging out on the ledge and was like, 'oh no!!!!'
Tomato Plant @ 9:30am...










Tomato & Pepper plants at 12:30pm...

12 plants at $4.25 each... a night at 31 degrees... Frost... Priceless...


The garden will continue and I've learned my lesson! Full moon in May happens on May 27... The night Sex in the City 2 opens up... I'll be planting my tomatoes & peppers on May 28... :D









Let the adventure continue!

1 comment:

  1. hey, i grow tomato plants from seed so let me know if you need any next year. it's a lot cheaper but they aren't as robust as varieties you get at the farmers markets. this year I have marmande, brandywine, blondkopfchen and isis candy cherry.
    -Justin

    ReplyDelete